Experience Level Associate
Work From Home Some times
Provide expert linguistic input to develop standards and tooling for a complex data generation project. The project is oriented toward the development of language-specific artificial intelligence chatbots.
Provide specific linguistic and cultural insights for the listed target language in support of the following: to support the development of NLP tools, to adapt content based on cultural norms, to develop glossaries for specific subject matter domains (such as travel, airlines, retail, finance, insurance, health care, fast food and media cable).
Assist in testing language-specific NLP tools to ensure accurate output and provide troubleshooting for bugs. Serve as an escalation point to answer questions from the data creation team (clarifying linguistic standards, explaining why sentence may not be in compliance with standards).
Assist the computational linguistics team in establishing clear guidelines (specific to the target language) related to common abbreviations used in colloquial speech, common ways of phrasing questions (leading phrases), best practices for maximizing the syntactic diversity of sentences. Provide authoritative feedback regarding language usage, with an eye to descriptive linguistics rather than prescriptive. This project requires a view of language that is sensitive to the real-life usage one finds among a very diverse range of demographic segments; the work is not well suited to linguistic purism.
- Outstanding knowledge of the linguistics of the target language, including semantics, syntax, grammar, orthography, lexicography, writing system(s)
- Experience with sociolinguistic or linguist anthropology analysis
- Strong knowledge of the cultural and business norms common in the target locale
- Background and experience with computational linguistic or natural language processing preferred
- Demonstrated native-level linguistic fluency in Hindi and in-depth knowledge of culture (and its subcultures)
- Energy and a positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with MS applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience working with issue tracking software (such as Jira) preferred
- Superior attention to detail as it relates to grammar, spelling, and non-standard linguistic patterns
- Experience with file-sharing environment
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a time-sensitive and deadline-driven work environment
- Troubleshoot problems; be able to communicate effectively and escalate testing issues
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner and to the expected quality
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics or equivalent professional experience
- 3-5 year experience working in a linguistic field (language services, copywriting, translation, language instruction, journalism, editing)